Sweet nutty almond cupcakes filled with chocolate ganache and topped with fresh, strawberry buttercream.
For the almond cupcakes
115g (1/2 cup) butter, softened
120g (1/2 cup), caster sugar
1 tsp almond extract
2 eggs, beaten
35g (1/4 cup) flour, sifted
120g (1 cup) ground almonds
1½ tbsp, whole milk
For the ganache
150g (1 cup) dark chocolate, chopped
60ml (1/4 cup) whipping cream
3 tbsp, salted butter (or unsalted and a pinch of sea-salt)
For the frosting
115g (1/2 cup) unsalted butter, room temperature
320g (2 cups), icing sugar, sifted
1/4 tsp, vanilla extract
3 tbsp strawberry puree (In a blender, whizz up 1 cup of strawberries until smooth)
4 strawberries, sliced (or whole), optional
1 tbsp flaked almonds, chopped, optional
For the almond cupcake
1. Pre-heat your oven to 190C. Place 10 paper cupcake cases into your cupcake pan.
2. Beat the butter and sugar, in a large bowl, until combined.
3. Add the almond extract and half the eggs into the bowl and beat in. Then add the flour and beat, followed by the remaining egg and beat until combined. Now stir in the almond meal and milk and mix until fully combined.
6. Evenly divide the mixture between the cupcake cases and bake for 18 minutes until golden brown or when a toothpick comes out clean.
7. Remove from the oven and allow to cool on a wire rack
For the chocolate ganache
In a small saucepan, pour the cream and heat gently until simmering.
Add the chocolate and butter and stir until melted. Remove from the heat and pour into a small bowl and set aside to cool.
For the strawberry frosting
1. In a large bowl, beat the softened butter for two minutes. 1/2 a cup at a time, add the icing sugar and beat on low speed until all the sugar is combined.
2. Add the puree and beat on medium speed for ten minutes until light and fluffy. (Make sure you scrape down the sides of the bowl every so often to ensure that the frosting is beaten evenly).
1. Cut out a hole in the centre of the cooled cupcake (don’t cut right the way through though!) Bonus: you can munch on the cut out bit as you go along!) Spoon a dollop of chocolate ganache into the hole.
2. Using a piping bag, frost the cupcakes. Add a slice of strawberry and sprinkle the flaked almond, then serve and enjoy!
Ganache: This recipe makes double the amount needed but store the remainder in a jar in the fridge to pour on ice-cream, dessert or porridge at a later date. Bonus!
Keywords: Cupcakes, Almond Cupcakes, Strawberry Buttercream