Triple Chocolate No-Bake Cheesecake…. oh yes, you read right. Finely crushed oreo base, with a smooth as silk milk chocolate cream cheese filling and a glossy dark chocolate ganache. And the best bit is that there is NO baking involved. You better believe that this is a super simple yet show stopping cake!
This Triple Chocolate No-Bake Cheesecake is so simple to make and the fact that it’s no bake adds to its appeal in my book. Isn’t it the best when you find a recipe that is simple, delicious and looks great all at the same time? I’ll let you in to some tips and tricks on ensuring the perfect no bake cheesecake and I’ll give you some great alternative topping suggestions.
Sometimes you just want to be able to make a cake that looks awesome, but you haven’t slaved for hours and hours in the kitchen preparing it. The hardest part is the waiting time for it to set!!
Confession time … after testing this recipe out a couple of times I wanted to see if it stood the simple test. So, I let my ten year old daughter, Malia, make it. I sat at the kitchen table with a cup of tea in hand and watched her go through each individual step. The only bit she needed some help with was the chocolate ganache pour- and that was only because I want to capture that pour shot for the blog.
If my ten year old can do it, I guarantee that you will have no problem in making this delicious dessert. You can follow my simple steps below on how to make this No Bake Cheesecake.
How do you make a chocolate no-bake cheesecake?
Firstly, you’ll need to make your oreo biscuits into a fine crumb by adding them to a food processor. Next add the melted butter to the food processor and pulse the machine until the crumb becomes moist and clumps. Pour the crumb into the bottom of a spring form pan and press firmly until level. Next refrigerate to chill.
Next place the cream cheese and sugar into a bowl and beat until smooth using electric beaters (or a stand mixer). Add the gelatine and melted chocolate and beat until combined. Then gently fold the whipped cream until mixed through. Pour into your springform pan, level with an offset spatula and refrigerate for at least four hours but preferably overnight to set.
Last step is to make your chocolate ganache. Do this my heating your cream until it simmers (but does not boil), pour the cream over your chopped chocolate in a bowl and let it sit for a couple of minutes. Then whisk continuously until the chocolate is fully melted and ganache is smooth and shiny. Set aside for ten minutes for it to cool slightly and then after releasing the cheesecake from the springform pan, pour the ganache over the top.
Allow 20 minutes in the fridge for the cheesecake to set, then you can decorate to your hearts content. I topped mine with fresh raspberries, pomegranate seeds and mint leaves. That shiny ganache topped with these jewel-like fruits created such a sensational look.
Some tips for making my Triple Chocolate No-Bake Cheesecake
- Cream Cheese: use the full fat Philadelphia brand cream cheese. I find any home brand options can have a lumpier consistency and you need this to be silky smooth when you whip it. Also go for the full fat option. Low fat cream cheese has a higher water content, and this can stop the cake from setting sufficiently and will liquify at room temperature. Lastly, make sure your cream cheese is at room temperature before whipping it – you’ll get the smoothest finish if it is.
- Using melted chocolatein the recipe will help the cheesecake to set along with the addition of the gelatine, as chocolate hardens when cool. I used milk chocolate, but dark chocolate would work equally well and give the cheesecake a visually darker look but also a richer, more intense chocolate flavour.
- Use whipping creamfor this recipe. Ensure the cream is whipped sufficiently and then folded in with a light hand to keep as much of the air in the mixture as possible. This will ensure a light mousse like consistency to the cheesecake. Exactly what you want.
- Don’t rush the chill time. The filling needs a good amount of time to set so that you can enjoy those smooth clean-cut slices. Too little and you’ll undo the spring form pan and slowly but surely the filling will ooze into a mess on your cake plate. Disaster. A minimum of 4 hours is needed but I go for overnight in the fridge to be on the safe side. I wouldn’t freeze and eat straight from frozen as you’ll have a filling and crust that is too firm, and you won’t have that beautiful, light smooth texture.
Can I freeze the cheesecake?
The answer is yes you can freeze your cheesecake and enjoy it later. Make sure the cheesecake has chilled for the required time for it to set sufficiently. Place in the freezer uncovered for an hour. If you want to freeze individual portions, then use a sharp knife dipped in hot water to slice the cake and then wrap each individual slice in aluminium foil then cling film (plastic wrap).
Alternatively leave the cake as a whole and wrap it in aluminium foil and then cling film (plastic wrap). The cheesecake can freezer for up to one month. Any longer than that and the cheesecake will not be at its optimum freshness. Thaw in the refrigerator when ready to eat.
How to I cut it for those clean edge slices?
The best way to get those perfect slices is to dip a sharp knife into hot water and wipe dry before cutting into your cheesecake. Before slicing into the cake again, the knife should be dipped in hot water again, dried and then used to slice. Repeat this process until all slices have been cut.
How do I store it?
Leftover cheesecake cake should be stored in the refrigerator, tightly wrapped, for up to four days. You will find that after two the crust will slowly soften.
What toppings can be added to a no-bake cheesecake?
The world is your oyster with what you can top the cheesecake with.
- Fruit curds, raspberry, blackberry … all would be delicious.
- Fruit, along with fruit curd, any time of fruit would be great on top of this cheesecake. I chose raspberry and pomegranate seeds for this recipe, but strawberries or blueberries would be great. Checkout Also The Crumbs Please delicious No-Bake Blueberry Cheesecake for more inspiration. Receipts found here.
- Chocolate or candies. So much choice with this and any kid would be in heaven if you produced a triple chocolate no-bake cheesecake topped with some of their favourite chocolates. I would personally go for peanut M & M’s or crushed up Oreos….so many options though!
For more chocolate goodness then head on over to these divine Chocolate Raspberry Popsicles. They’re great ALL year round, not just for summer! Recipe found here.Print
Triple Chocolate No-Bake Cheesecake
There layers of chocolatey indulgence. Oreo crust topped chocolate no-bake cheesecake and covered in a decadent chocolate ganaches. It’s surprisingly easy to whip up this is a showstopper!
- Prep Time: 10
- Cook Time: 240
- Total Time: 4 hours 10 minutes
- Yield: 8 1x
- Category: Cakes & Cupcakes
- Cuisine: Dessert
For the Crust
24 Oreo cookies
55g (1/4 cup) unsalted butter, melted
For the Filling
500g (2 1/4 cups) Philadelphia cream cheese, softened
60g (1/4 cup) caster sugar
2 tsp gelatine dissolved in 1/4 cup boiling water
200g (1 1/4 cups) milk chocolate, melted and cooled slightly
240ml (1 cup) whipping cream, softly whipped
For the Ganache
150g (1 cup) dark chocolate, finely chopped
240ml (1 cup) heavy cream
Optional: Pomegranate seeds, raspberries and mint leaves to decorate
For the Crust
- Using a food processor, blend the cookies into fine crumbs.
- Add the melted butter and blend until it’s combined, and the crumbs are moist and have clumped together.
- Pour crumbs into your springform pan and press firmly until flat. Refrigerate until set
For the Filling
- Beat the cream cheese and sugar with an electric mixer until smooth. Add the gelatine, chocolate and mix until smooth. Then fold in the whipped cream.
- Pour filling into the cooled springform pan. Level with an offset spatula and chill in the refrigerator for 4 hours minimum (preferably overnight) or until completely set.
For the Ganache
- Place the cream into a small saucepan and gently heat on the stove top on a low heat. When cream is warm and starting to simmer, do not let it boil, then pour cream over the chocolate and let it sit for 2-3 minutes.
- Start whisking slowly in the same direction until all the cream and chocolate are combined. Set aside for 10 minutes before pouring over the set cheesecake allowing it to drip over the sides slightly. Place in fridge to set for 20 minutes and then decorate with pomegranate, raspberries and mint leaves. Enjoy!
TIP: To slice, use a large, sharp knife and run it under hot water before making the first slice. Run under hot water with every cut. This gives you beautifully clean layers.
Keywords: Chocolate Cheesecake, No-Bake Cheesecake, How to make a no-bake cheesecake