The Gluten-Free Pear, Hazelnut and Olive Oil cake combines the fruity notes of olive oil with the pear, rich chocolate and crunchy hazelnuts. The result is a super moist, rich yet light cake that will have you coming back for more. Bonus is that it looks stunning!
130g dark chocolate 70%, coarsely chopped
3 eggs, divided into whites and yolks
160ml olive oil
22g cocoa powder
100g granulated sugar
110g firmly packed brown sugar
145g almond meal (almond flour)
1 tsp vanilla extract
1/2 tsp ground ginger
1/2 tsp salt
3 ripe pears
60g toasted and peeled hazelnuts, coarsely chopped
- Preheat the oven to 180°C / 350°F. Grease a 23cm/9in springform pan and line the base. Melt the dark chocolate in a bowl set over a pan of simmering water ensuring the bottom of the bowl does not come into contact with the water. Once melted remove the bowl from the heat and set aside for 10 minutes and allow to cool slightly.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with a whisk attachment, add the egg whites and whip until firm peaks form. Spoon the egg whites into a separate bowl and set aside.
- Replace the attachment with the paddle attachment. In the same stand mixer bowl that you originally used (there is no need to wash it up), add the egg yolks, olive oil, cocoa powder, granulated sugar, brown sugar, almond meal, vanilla extract, ginger and salt and beat on medium until well combined. Turn the mixer down to low and slowly pour in the melted chocolate and mix.
- Add the egg whites into the chocolate batter and using a spatula, gently fold through until combined. Pour the batter into the prepared pan and smooth the surface.
- Slice the pears in half, remove the stem and core and then slice each half thinly. Fan the pear slices on top of the batter and sprinkle the chopped hazelnuts around the pears. Bake for 40-45 minutes until a skewer inserted into the centre comes out with a few moist crumbs. Remove from the oven and let stand in the pan to cool for ten minutes before removing completely. Best served warm.
Recipe by Kelsey Seimens new cookbook: The Farmer’s Daughter Bakes
The cake can be stored in an airtight container at room temperature for upto 2 days or in the fridge for up to 4 days.
Keywords: Gluten-free, pear cake, chocolate cake, dessert