Rich, buttery, soft and light enriched brioche dough is one of the most versatile but also delicious doughs that you can make.
10g (2 1/2 teaspoon/1 envelope) active dry yeast
175ml whole milk, luke-warm
50g caster sugar
500g plain flour
1 teaspoon salt
2 large eggs, room temperature
2 teaspoons vanilla paste (or extract)
120g unsalted butter, room temperature, cut into cubes
Oil, for greasing
To make a Brioche Loaf
- Add the yeast, milk, and 1 tablespoon sugar into a small bowl and mix well. Set to one side for 15 minutes until foamy.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the dough hook, add the flour, remaining sugar and salt. Quickly mix together.
- Add the foaming yeast mixture, eggs and vanilla bean paste and mix on low for 5 minutes until the dough comes together.
- Then add the butter gradually, whilst the mixer is running on medium and once incorporated, turn the mixer up and knead for ten minutes. The dough should be pulling away from the sides of the bowl but have formed a ‘tornado’ around the dough hook.
- Tip dough onto a greased work top and pull the corners into the centre. Turn over so that the seams are underneath and place dough ball in a greased bowl and cover with cling film and let rise in a warm place for 1 ½ hours.
- Grease and line a 2lb loaf pan. Once doubled in size, gently punch down the dough and tip out onto a lightly floured bench top. (There is no need to refrigerate the dough at this point and there is no special cutting needed later on. Using your hands, form dough into a rectangle. Using a sharp knife or pastry scraper, cut the dough into 5 even pieces. Rollout each piece into a rectangle, then from the short end, roll the dough into a log. Place seam side down into your prepared loaf pan. Repeat this process with the other remaining dough pieces and place them side by side sat snugly in the prepared loaf pan.
- Cover the pan loosely with cling wrap (allow room for the dough to expand) and let the dough rise in a warm place for 45 mins or until doubled in size. Meanwhile, pre-heat oven to 180C/350F for 30-35 minutes until golden brown.
- Remove from the oven and rest for five minutes before turning out onto a cooling rack.
Keywords: Bread, Brioche Bread, Yeasted, Enriched Dough