Home-made lemon raspberry donuts topped with tangy sweet lemon glaze. These Baked Lemon Raspberry Donuts combine soft fluffy lemon sponge filled with sweet raspberries and topped with tangy lemon glaze. They are incredibly easy to make and make the perfect treat for snack time or even breakfast.
In the spring and summer time, I’m a huge fan of lemon desserts. (Who am I kidding, all year round!!) That tangy, sweet taste that livens up any baked treat. Amazing right??! Teamed with juicy raspberries in the form of baked airy lemon sponge donuts…the combination is magic. Lemon and raspberries match each other like orange and chocolate. A perfect pairing.
The best bit, these donuts look super cute but are so easy to make. Let’s have a look how…
What ingredients are in these Baked Lemon Raspberry Donuts?
- Unsalted butter
- Caster sugar
- Eggs- binds the ingredients and add richness
- Lemon zest and juice – double whammy of tang!
- Self raising flour & baking powder- for a light and airy sponge
- Sour cream- provides moisture
How do we make these baked donuts?
These baked lemon raspberry donuts are surprisingly quick and easy to make. No more than 15 minutes to get them in the oven, then just over ten minutes baking. The hardest part is waiting for them to cool before glazing!
Pre-heat your oven to 180C (350F). Grease x2
Cream butter and sugar until pale and fluffy.
Pour in the eggs slowly and mix in, then add the lemon zest, juice and sour cream and mix in.
Fold through the dry ingredients until just combined. Then fold through the raspberries until just combined. Raspberries are quite fragile and some may break up. But don’t worry, you’ll get a raspberry marbled look in the sponge. Take a look at the unglazed, baked donuts in the picture above.
Spoon the batter into your piping bag, snip a 1cm hole at the point and pipe batter into the donut rounds. Piping it into the donut pan is a whole lot easier and less messy than spooning it in. I very much recommend it.
From there we bake, then cool then glaze. Pretty simple right! And I think they look awesome…definitely looks like more effort than a quick 30 minutes. Shhhh I won’t tell. It’s our secret, ok?!
The Baked Lemon Raspberry Donuts Glaze.
2 ingredients. That’s it. That’s all you need to top your perfect baked lemon raspberry donuts.
Whisk the icing sugar and lemon juice until smooth. The glaze should coat the back of a spoon. Then it’s ready for dunking those donuts and glazing them up. Add a little sprinkle of freeze dried raspberries. and you are done. Tuck in!!
If you wanted an alternative to lemon glaze, you could mash a couple of raspberries and mix them in with the icing sugar (omitting the lemon juice). You’ll have the prettiest pink raspberry glaze on your hands.
For more recipes with lemon:Print
These Baked Lemon Raspberry Donuts combine soft fluffy lemon sponge filled with sweet raspberries and topped with tangy lemon glaze. They are incredibly easy to make and make the perfect treat for snack time or even breakfast.
For the lemon raspberry sponge
115g unsalted butter
115g caster sugar
3 large eggs, beaten
250g self raising flour
½ teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon salt
100g sour cream
2 unwaxed lemons, zested
60ml lemon juice
1 tablespoon freeze-dried raspberries
For the lemon icing
200g icing sugar, sifted
2 tablespoons lemon juice
- Pre-heat your oven to 180C (350F). Grease x2
- In the bowl of a stand mixer with the beater attached, add the butter and caster sugar and cream until pale and fluffy.
- With your beaters on medium-high, pour the beaten eggs In a slow steady stream, stopping half way to scrape the sides of the bowl. Beat until eggs are well mixed in and then stir through the sour cream, lemon zest and lemon juice.
- Fold through the flour, baking powder and salt until just combined. Then gently fold through the raspberries until just combined. (Don’t worry if the raspberries break up a bit)
- Spoon the batter into a piping bag and snip a 1 cm hole at the point. Pipe batter into each of the donut holes. Don’t over fill as they will rise. Use a wet finger to smooth the dough where they meet.
- Bake for 12-14 minutes until a skewer inserted into the sponge comes out clean. Remove from the oven and let cool in the pan for 10 minutes before turning out on a wire rack to cool completely.
For the icing glaze
- Add the icing sugar and 2 tablespoons of lemon juice into a medium bowl and whisk until combined. Glaze needs to be able to coat the back of a spoon. Add more lemon juice, one teaspoon at a time if it’s too stiff.
- Dip the donuts into the glaze and decorate some with freezedried raspberries whilst the glaze is wet, then set aside for the glaze to harden. Serve immediately
To Store : Donuts can be stored in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 3 days.
To Freeze : The donuts store well in the freezer in an air tight container for up to two months. Thaw overnight in the fridge. Glaze prior to serving.
Keywords: Baking, donuts, baked, treat, dessert, lemon, raspberry