These Baked Lemon Raspberry Donuts combine soft fluffy lemon sponge filled with sweet raspberries and topped with tangy lemon glaze. They are incredibly easy to make and make the perfect treat for snack time or even breakfast.
For the lemon raspberry sponge
115g unsalted butter
115g caster sugar
3 large eggs, beaten
250g self raising flour
½ teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon salt
100g sour cream
2 unwaxed lemons, zested
60ml lemon juice
1 tablespoon freeze-dried raspberries
For the lemon icing
200g icing sugar, sifted
2 tablespoons lemon juice
- Pre-heat your oven to 180C (350F). Grease x2
- In the bowl of a stand mixer with the beater attached, add the butter and caster sugar and cream until pale and fluffy.
- With your beaters on medium-high, pour the beaten eggs In a slow steady stream, stopping half way to scrape the sides of the bowl. Beat until eggs are well mixed in and then stir through the sour cream, lemon zest and lemon juice.
- Fold through the flour, baking powder and salt until just combined. Then gently fold through the raspberries until just combined. (Don’t worry if the raspberries break up a bit)
- Spoon the batter into a piping bag and snip a 1 cm hole at the point. Pipe batter into each of the donut holes. Don’t over fill as they will rise. Use a wet finger to smooth the dough where they meet.
- Bake for 12-14 minutes until a skewer inserted into the sponge comes out clean. Remove from the oven and let cool in the pan for 10 minutes before turning out on a wire rack to cool completely.
For the icing glaze
- Add the icing sugar and 2 tablespoons of lemon juice into a medium bowl and whisk until combined. Glaze needs to be able to coat the back of a spoon. Add more lemon juice, one teaspoon at a time if it’s too stiff.
- Dip the donuts into the glaze and decorate some with freezedried raspberries whilst the glaze is wet, then set aside for the glaze to harden. Serve immediately
To Store : Donuts can be stored in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 3 days.
To Freeze : The donuts store well in the freezer in an air tight container for up to two months. Thaw overnight in the fridge. Glaze prior to serving.
Keywords: Baking, donuts, baked, treat, dessert, lemon, raspberry