A rich and indulgent recipe for Salted Caramel Brownies. These delicious brownies are filled but also topped with lashings of caramel sauce. Best served warm with a scoop of vanilla bean ice-cream.
THIS SMALL BATCH RECIPE CAN BE DOUBLED IN SIZE TO MAKE A REGULAR SERVING SIZE OF 12. See notes below.
For the Chocolate Cherry Brownies
100g Waitrose Belgian Dark Chocolate 54%, chopped
100g caster sugar
70g plain flour
25g cocoa powder
1/2 tsp salt
1 egg, room temperature
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
Waitrose Salted Caramel Sauce
½ teaspoon flaked sea salt
Vanilla bean ice-cream
- Turn the oven on to 180C and grease and line a 2lb 21x13cm loaf pan with parchment paper (this will make it easier for you to remove the brownies once cooled)
- Using a bain-marie (Bowl sat snuggly over a saucepan of boiling water. Note: don’t let the water touch the bottom of the bowl). Place the Waitrose unsalted butter, chopped Waitrose Belgian Dark Chocolate and caster sugar into the bowl and stir until melted.
- Whisk together the dry ingredients: flour, cocoa powder and salt then set aside.
- In a medium bowl, with an electric beater or stand mixer, beat the egg until pale and fluffy. Add the melted chocolate mixture and vanilla extract and beat until combined.
- Then add the dry ingredients and mix until just combined.
- Pour half the batter into the prepared loaf pan and smooth flat. Spoon Waitrose & Partners Salted Caramel Sauce over the brownie batter, then pour the remaining batter over the top of the caramel and smooth with the back of a spoon. Allow to stand for ten minutes.
- Place in the oven and bake for 25 minutes. The edges should be firm but the centre should have a slight jiggle when shaken gently. Remove from the oven and place the tray on a wire rack and leave to cool for 20 minutes. Use the baking paper to gently lift the brownie out of the tin.
- To serve. Drizzle with more Waitrose Salted caramel Sauce and the sea salt and then slice. Add a generous scoop of vanilla bean ice-cream for an indulgent extra.
- To double this recipe. Double all the ingredients and bake according to the instructions. Grease and line a square 9×9 inch brownie pan to bake the brownies in.
- For neat slices/squares: Refrigerate the brownies for one hour or more. Then cut into slices – the brownies will have much neater edges.
- To Freeze: Cut brownies into squares or slices. Wrap individual pieces in parchment paper and store in an airtight container. Freeze for up to 3 months. To de-frost, thaw overnight in the fridge. Microwave for a couple of seconds to get that gooey interior.
Keywords: Brownies, Chocolate, dessert, caramel