The best small batch Banana Chocolate Chunk Muffin recipe out there. Super moist, tasty and full of melting chocolate, this easy muffin recipe is a brilliant way to use that browned banana.
THIS RECIPE CAN BE DOUBLED TO YIELD x8 MUFFINS
60g unsalted butter, room temperature
70g granulated sugar
1 egg, room temperature, lightly beaten.
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
100g banana, 1 large or 2 small, mashed
110g all purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
½ teaspoon baking soda
100g milk chocolate, chopped
Dollop of nutella per muffin, optional
20g banana chips, optional
- Pre-heat oven to 200C/390F. Line your cupcake tray with 4 muffin liners.
- In the bowl of an electric stand mixer fitted with the beater attachment, cream the butter and sugar for three minutes then scrape down the sides of the bowl.
- Add the egg, milk, vanilla extract and banana and mix until combined.
- In a separate bowl sift the flour, baking powder and baking soda. Add the dry ingredients to the banana mixture. Fold the flour in until just combined. Add the chopped chocolate and mix again.
- Divide batter between muffin liners. Bake at 200C/390F for 5 minutes before turning down the oven to 180C/350F for another 15-20 minutes. If the muffin tops brown too quickly then cover with foil until they have finished baking. The muffin needs to spring back when touched.
- Remove the tray from the oven and tilt muffins in their moulds to cool for ten minutes, so that the bottoms don’t go soggy. Then place on a wire rack to cool further.
- To serve, sprinkle with banana chips and a dollop of nutella (optional).
- To make your own muffin liners: Cut squares of baking paper, spray with water, place over the cupcake tin and push a glass gently down into the mold. Leave for five minutes, remove the glass and the papers will stay in shape, ready to fill.
- Alternatives/Addins: Use whatever chocolate that you have on hand or prefer. Alternatively, mix dark and milk together. Add any chopped nuts that you like such as walnuts or pecans.
- Nutella: Adding a dollop of nutella is optional. Microwave the nutella in a small bowl for 15 seconds to loosen it and help with spooning it onto the muffin.
- To Store: Place in an airtight container and store at room temperature for up to 3 days
Keywords: Dessert, Muffin, Chocolate, Banana, Afternoon Treat