10g (2 1/2 teaspoon/1 envelope) active dry yeast
175ml whole milk, luke-warm
50g caster sugar
500g plain flour
1 teaspoon salt
2 large eggs, room temperature
2 teaspoons vanilla paste (or extract)
120g unsalted butter, room temperature, cut into cubes
Oil, for greasing
For the scrolls:
1 egg, beaten for egg wash
10g strawberry powder
- Add the yeast, milk, and 1 tablespoon sugar into a small bowl and mix well. Set to one side for 15 minutes until foamy.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the dough hook, add the flour, remaining sugar and salt. Quickly mix together.
- Add the foaming yeast mixture, eggs and vanilla bean paste and mix on low for 5 minutes until the dough comes together.
- Then add the butter gradually, whilst the mixer is running on medium and once incorporated, turn the mixer up and knead for ten minutes. The dough should be pulling away from the sides of the bowl but have formed a ‘tornado’ around the dough hook.
- Tip dough onto a greased work top and pull the corners into the centre. Turn over so that the seams are underneath and place dough ball in a greased bowl and cover with cling film and let rise in a warm place for 1 ½ hours.
- Once doubled in size, gently punch down the dough and tip out onto a lightly floured bench top. Using your hands, form dough into a rectangle. Using a sharp knife or pastry scraper, cut the dough into 2 pieces and wrap individually in cling film. Refrigerate the half that we’ll use today for 1 hour, and freeze or refrigerate the other half to be used on a separate occasion.
- On a floured work surface, roll out the dough to approximately 20cm x 40cm.
- Evenly smear the strawberry jam over the bottom two thirds of the dough.
- Now fold the top third over like a letter fold.
- Then bring the bottom third over to close the letter fold. Now turn the dough 90 degrees so the short edge is at the top and bottom, and long edge on the side.
- Using a sharp knife, trim all around the edge of the rectangle to create neat, straight edges. Cut the dough into 6 equal sized vertical strips.
- Twirl each strip into a scroll, it gets a bit slippery at the start but use your fingers to hold the centre in place and swirl the dough around it.
- Place the swirl on baking paper.
- Repeat with the remaining 5 strips. Brush each scroll with egg wash. Bake for 25-30 minutes until golden brown. Meanwhile, mix the sugar and freezedried strawberries together in a bowl
- Once baked, remove the scrolls from the oven and once cool enough to touch, toss them in the sugar to coat. Eat immediately.
Best eaten immediately.
Strawberry Sugar adapted from Cloudy Kitchen Roasted Strawberry Brioche Donuts
Keywords: dough, brioche dough, enriched dough, snack, scrolls, sticky buns