Triple Chocolate Madeleines will fulfil any chocolate lovers dream. Rich dark sponge is filled with a surprise slice of white chocolate and then dipped into creamy milk chocolate and sprinkled with flaked sea salt.
120g butter, melted and at room temperature
2 large eggs, room temperature
110g golden caster sugar (or regular caster)
2 tablespoon milk
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
90g plain flour
30g cocoa powder
½ teaspoon baking powder
60g white chocolate, divided into 12
100g milk chocolate, melted
½ teaspoon coconut oil
1 teaspoon Malden flaked sea salt
- Heat your butter in a small saucepan over low heat until melt
- In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the whisk attachment, add the eggs and caster sugar and whisk on high until increased in volume, pale and fluffy, approx five minutes.
- Reduce the speed to low and add the milk and vanilla extract and whisk till combined.
- Sift the plain flour, cocoa powder, baking powder and salt into a separate bowl and then add to the mixture, Mix till just combined.
- Remove the bowl from the stand mixer and pour in the melted butter and fold till combined.
- Chill the mixture in the refrigerator for one hour.
- Prior to baking, pre-heat the oven to 180C/350F. Brush melted butter onto your 12-Hole Madeleines Tray moulds and then dust with cocoa powder and tap away excess. Refrigerate your pan until mixture is ready.
- Spoon a dollop of mixture into the shell mould and then place a piece of white chocolate onto the mixture and cover with another dollop of mixture. Repeat with each shell mould.
- Bake for 10-12 minutes until the sponge has risen and ‘domed’ as is fully coked through.
- Transfer to a wire rack and leave to cool slightly.
- Heat the milk chocolate and coconut oil in short bursts in the microwave until fully melted. Dip the madeleines into the milk chocolate ans sprinkle with flaked salt. Best eaten within a few hours of making.
- It’s best to measure out ingredients with scales rather than using cups for a more accurate result.
- Ensure the moulds have been well buttered using a pastry brush to ensure the Madeleines don’t stick.
- Whip the eggs and sugar for a good five minutes until light in colour and airy in consitency. This will ensure soft and fluffy sponge.
- Refrigerate the mixture for atleast one hour. You’ll achieve the signature bump by doing this.
Keywords: Madeleines, Chocolate, French