Light walnut filled sponge with a hint of rosemary topped with a yogurt glaze and honey walnut praline. A wonderful flavour combination in the cutest little bundt cakes.
Honey walnut praline
90g (1/4 cup) runny honey
140g (1/2 cup) granulated sugar
½ tablespoon water
60g (1/2 cup) walnut halves, chopped coarsely
240g (1 ½ cups and 2 tablespoons) plain flour
1 ½ teaspoon baking powder
½ teaspoon salt
120g (1/2 cup) unsalted butter room temp
170g (3/4 cup) golden granulated sugar
2 large eggs
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
120g (½ cup) Greek Yogurt
150ml milk, room temp
60g (½ cup) walnut halves, coursley chopped
1 tablespoon rosemary, finely chopped
125g (1/2 cup) Greek Yogurt
240g (1 ½ cups) icing sugar
8 whole walnuts, optional
Small sprigs of rosemary, optional
For the honey walnut praline
- Prepare a baking tray with a sheet of baking paper lain on top. Lightly oil the baking paper. Oil the blade of a palette knife and set aside.
- In a small saucepan add the honey, sugar and water and warm through over gentle heat until the sugar has melted. Do not stir, just tilt the saucepan from side to side encouraging any sugar granules to dissolve.
- Once dissolved, increase the heat to medium-high and add the chopped walnuts, and without stirring, watch closely as the sugar caramelises to a golden brown colour. This can take up to 4 minutes.
- Once golden brown, pour onto the prepared baking paper and working quickly, smooth the praline across the surface of the paper. Allow to cool and harden. Using a palette knife to lift off the paper, crack the praline into shards and pieces. Divide into half, set aside one half to be used for decorating. With the other half chop finely. This will be added to the batter later on.
For the walnut sponge
- Pre-heat the oven to 180C (350F). Prepare your mini bundt tray. Brush room temp butter into all the nooks of the moulds. Then dust with flour, knocking out any excess.
- Combine flour, baking powder and salt in a bowl and set aside.
- In the bowl of stand mixer, beat butter and sugar until pale and fluffy, about 3 minutes.
- Add eggs one at a time beating until fully incorporated after each addition. Add vanilla extract and greek yogurt and mix until combined.
- Alternating between the flour mixture (3 additions) and the milk (2 additions), mix until fully combined. Fold in the chopped walnuts, rosemary and finely chopped praline until combined.
- Pour the batter in your prepared bundt moulds until each mould is two thirds full. Bake for 15-18 minutes or until a toothpick entered into the centre comes out clean.
- Remove from the oven and allow to cool in the pan for 30 minutes on a wire rack before turning the mould over and gently tapping until the bundts become lose and fall out. Allow to cool completely.
For the yogurt glaze
- Add the ingredients to a medium bowl and stir untll combined. If the glaze is too thick then add 1 teaspoon at a time of water until you reach the desired consistency.
- Spoon the glaze over the cooled mini bundts
- Add a walnut, some praline pieces and a sprig of rosemary as decoration onto each mini bundt cake.
Keywords: Cake, dessert